Thursday, July 05, 2007

Service Rocks!

I have been thinking a lot about volunteering lately, and why some people feel it is part of their duty to give to others, volunteer, or have a socially conscious job, while others don´t. Anyways, I feel very strongly about service, and a life of service at that, so I wrote this article for our quarterly publication. I´ve been doing a lot of reflecting lately. Not much else to do when theres not electricity at night. Jenny

“Ask not what your country can do for you; but what you can do for your country.”
John F. Kennedy, Jr.




·Do you love the volunteer life style and the high it gives you?
·Do you feel like you need another year to “figure things out”?
·Do you enjoy measuring life in increments of 1-4 years (i.e. College: 4 years, Peace Corps: 2 years, Grad School:15 months)?
·Are you going to really miss being part of a community when you leave?
·Before you left, did anyone ask you “Why are you leaving when there’s so much to be done here?” and you thought….good point?

If you answered yes or maybe to any of these questions, READ ON!

Before joining the Peace Corps, I served for 2 years in AmeriCorps, which has been called the “domestic Peace Corps”. Much like the Peace Corps, you dedicate a length of time (couple months to one year) to volunteer in a specific project in a specific community for a living stipend. However, unlike the PC, you get to choose the program AND the community with whom you work (in most programs). You also get an education award (approx. $4,750) that can be directly applied to most loans or tuition at most universities.

I joined City of Lakes AmeriCorps in Minneapolis, Minnesota. There, I co-taught in a middle school, taught after school classes, recruited and trained volunteers, went to many group retreats, coordinated a summer youth leadership group, facilitated many service learning projects, was a big sister through Big Brothers Big Sisters, filled out reports, made life long friends, met my husband!, affected at least 1.8 peoples lives, volunteered my time, energy, and knowledge to give an extra hand, and felt good about myself for the first time in my life.
I also learned a lot. I learned about my community, how to be a productive member of society, how to talk about diversity, how to give countless life skills classes, how to see myself as a leader, how to work in a group, how to lead trainings, how to do one million icebreakers, name games, teambuilding activities, and energizers, and most importantly I learned a lot about myself.

When people have found out that Jeff and I did AmeriCorps, they are usually interested and some have expressed interest in joining when they get back to the states. I have been asked “Would AmeriCorps be a disappointment after doing the Peace Corps?” more than once, and we always answered “Ya, it probably would”. But after spending more time in the Peace Corps, I’ve thought a lot about my answer and have changed my mind. They are two very different and separate experiences. When I joined the Peace Corps, I thought I was taking a step up. I now realize that what I did was take a step sideways. I feel that while we offer a lot to the communities that we are working in, what I have learned in both programs is what is truly valuable to me and will stay with me for the rest of my life, and they are very different.

In Peace Corps I learned…
“Life is calling, how far will you go”
That when I swore in we got a cute little Peace Corps pin.
The difference between llegar and venir and that you really shouldn’t use venir when you are at your neighbor’s house and you are talking about your students coming over to YOUR house. That’s a time for llegar. Move 5 steps to the right, okay cool, NOW you can use venir.
How to make tostones, gallo pinto, and my own spaghetti sauce. Also to cook when I have running water, and to eat out when I don’t.
How to sneak in a life skills charla to any youth gathering. Oh, and what in the world a charla is.
How to live on $250 in a developing nation.
How to work with very driven, motivated, and goal-oriented Peace Corps volunteers. Also how to work with Nicaraguans in their country.
The importance of free food.
Volunteers will always break rules (i.e. NOT wearing a bike helmet).
The words to countless Mana and bus songs.
To NOT say yes to everything right away otherwise I might burn out, and I’ve got 2 years!

In AmeriCorps I learned…
“Getting things done for America”
That when we swore in we got a hooded sweatshirt, a t-shirt AND a cute little AmeriCorps pin.
That I am a Southwest, which means that when I work in a group I want everyone to come out happy (the process is what counts!) but I also like our work to be orderly and organized.
To NEVER bring hummus, veggies and pita bread to a potluck otherwise all we will have to eat is hummus, veggies and pita bread.
That HAVING a youth group(after school class) is the important thing, no matter what the topic is (knitting anyone?), because most youth mischief happens during the hours of 3-6 p.m. (in the U.S.)
How to live on $640 in a developed nation.
How to work with very free flowing, open thinking, and concerned AmeriCorps volunteers. Also, how to work with and develop youth leaders.
The importance of free food.
Volunteers will always break rules (i.e. driving students home from activities).
That Jeff knows the entire “Freedom Medley” and enjoyed singing it daily.
To say YES to everything because I have to finish my 1500 hours, and I only have 1 year!

AmeriCorps might not be right for everyone. However, I think that as RPCVs we should keep volunteering when we return to the states, or wherever it is that we end up. There’s so much work to be done and luckily, there are so many different ways to give: twice a week, once a month, once a year. Choose one! You’ll feel better about yourself, keep in touch with humanity, get to share your knowledge with others, and learn new things. Just make sure you choose the one that’s right for you. Here are some links, though I realize that they are biased with what I enjoy, there are so many more important and amazing organizations out there. Good luck and “keep on keepin on”! Peace.

1 Comments:

At July 06, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I am sooooo lame! Call it pms, call it living in Ohio, call it missing you - who knows, but now I am crying at my desk :( Oh how I miss Jelly!!! (You too Jeff)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home